Very Serious

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Mandatory James Blake Post


    Everybody loves James Blake, myself included. Something about a classic English singer-songwriter turned Post-Dubstep figurehead is just irresistible. Also, a guy who call do Joni Mitchell covers and Lil Wayne reworks is not only talented but has a solid sense of the ridiculous, and you know I love that.

   What really defines Blake (which also is what makes him a rare talent) is his musical intelligence, his gift for meshing seemingly un-meshable sounds and textures to make songs that not only brim with "heart on your sleeve singer-songwriter" emotions, but a rare combination of that and incredibly complex, brilliant musicianship. This isn't an album review so I won't go into to much description of Blake's self titled debut. I'll just say that it brim's with a talent for songwriting, all of it, that is increasingly rare in a musical era dominated by singles and outside producers.

   It was only a matter of time until singing and Dubstep were incorporated by somebody. One could argue its already been done with guys like Darkstar, but not in the way Blake does it. To call Blake's music Dubstep would be underselling it, like so many great artists he defies classification. The consensus of Blake from the music community is overwhelming excitement, and its easy to see why. He represents a bright future for pop music, electronic music, music in general. I know I'm on the bandwagon.


Some James Blake tracks, for the soul.

Wilhelms Scream - James Blake

James Blake, "Wilhelm Scream" by blatanti

I Only Know (What I Know Now) - James Blake

James Blake - "I Only Know (What I Know Now)" by Strange Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment